WINNERS of our Mundial!

WINNERS of our Mundial!
smiles all around

KATIE in Ecuador!

KATIE in Ecuador!
meeting pastora´s ducks! hahaha

The 5 crazies of arbolito house

The 5 crazies of arbolito house
retreat at the beach!

Mamá y Yo

Mamá y Yo
looking at all of Lupe´s great jewelry :-)

Ñaño

Ñaño
yazul and little bro

Semillas

Semillas
Finishing up a day at Semillas with 10 seconds of silence to calm everyone down

Villanova Retreat Group

Villanova Retreat Group
After climbing Las Peñas (at the top of the light house)--that´s Durán out in the distance

Semillas

Semillas
Sitting listening to the Charla

a chill afternoon at semillas

a chill afternoon at semillas

now not so chill...

now not so chill...

hairstylist Mechet

hairstylist Mechet
probably how i got lice...

park at semillas

park at semillas

Friday, September 4, 2009

So this is culture shock...

I wasn´t sure if I was going to write a blog this week, only because well, my week wasn´t so great. I thought, why would I want them to hear about my homesickness, my frustration, and my sadness...that just doesn´t sound good---but then I rethought it, and figured it´s better to share what i´m going through then keep it bottled up. I guess in a way, I was trying to censor you all, so that I could seem stronger, and less vulnerable...But let´s face it, we all have moments that are tougher than others. This was just one of those weeks.

It´s hard to describe but this past week I just haven´t been myself. Little things have been getting to me, i´m increasingly irritable, somewhat obsessed with cleaning, and more and more I retreat to the isolation of my room. I am frustrated everyday and am trying so hard to be positive, but my efforts just seem futile. Both Semillas and Redima were two things this week that I was just not into. The kids bothered me, and my co-workers were constantly on my nerves. It´s so hard to fake happiness too, especially for me because my emotions are blatantly visible to all based on my body language and face. Essentially what it comes down to is homesickness and culture shock--each thing is perpetuating the negatives of the other.

I miss home, I miss my bed, I miss my morning coffee and yogurt with berries. I want to be able to go out at night, and not have to worry about safety. I want to be able to come home after a long day and not have to cook for six people. I don´t want to have to deal with hundreds of thousands of ants!! I want to be able to run outside by myself. I don´t want to speak spanish 24/7, and I don´t want to eat any more stinking bananas. I want to have breakfast at Cristy´s and eat pancakes, and more than anything I want to be around my family and friends.

I am definitely struggling, and trying so hard to be okay. My community sees it too, and that´s another reason why this is so hard. I want to be able to open up to them, and for them to see me, but for some reason I resist. It´s still so difficult to be myself with them, and there is always that fear that i´m burdening them with too much. I know they want to help me, but it´s hard to make yourself vulnerable.

But we are a community, and we are supposed to be there for one another. I know they struggle too, but I think some of them are just better at letting the little things go, where for me, it´s the little things that really get to me.

This morning we had a 3 hour reflection on the pillar of community, what it means, when does it bring us joy, and when does it bring us difficulty. I think if anything, this discussion made me reflect on what a gift i´ve been given--this gift of living in community, learning from others, and seeing the need for all of us in this situation; we are each a part of something greater than ourselves-- but it also put a lot of emphasis on how this idea of community will be something we constantly struggle with--how it´s also the hardest part of Ecuador.

I know I will get through this rough patch; it is something we will all go through at some point. We all need to be broken and recognize our brokeness before we can fully understand the complexity of this experience and how much we can grow from it. This is something we talk about all the time, I guess I just didn´t realize that it would hit me so hard.

I´m sorry if this was a little more negative than what you all were hoping, but it´s something that´s heavy on my heart, so instead of pretending that everything is just ducky, I figured I´d be honest with you all.

Know that I still continue to pray for you all and miss you more than you know. Keep sending emails and updating me on your lives---it always puts a smile on my face when I can see your names in my inbox :-)

Love you muchisimo,
lupita

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there, I hope everything gets better

    I miss you Christy's pancakes and oatmeal choc chip cookies.
    xoxo
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jamie
    i know that everything will get better for you i know it will you are strong and can handle anything. I am having a horrible start of school but it is ok i really wish you could be here for it but you got to do what you got to do and you got to be there
    lots and lots of love
    emily ♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog really touched me!
    Thanks for your honesty--I'm sure you said what many are thinking! I know I'd be right where you are if I were there!! But, know that you are strong and this experience will make you even stronger. Reach out to others--your openess may help others open up and you will find you are not alone in your feelings.
    I finished my full week of school with my 20 little ones. I know they can be a challenge, but all your efforts will pay off in time.
    I hope Dan is helping you cook!! If he is not let me know and I'll have a talk with him (ha! ha!). Better days are coming--they always do!
    Love, Gisele Gagnon (Dan's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jamie,

    Keep your head up, you're an amazing person, and you're inspiring all of us that trudge along in our daily lives. It's perfectly natural to be homesick, I know I would be. I spent one day with you & the Altieri's in Boston, and I realized what a great person you are & I know everyone there will too.

    BC is up 14 - 0 over northeastern in the 1st quarter.

    Best of Luck,

    Billy K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jamie,

    You are so strong and courageous and you make me so unbelievably proud that you are my cousin. You will get through this, keep your head up and remember that you are making such a difference in Ecuador.

    I miss and love you.

    Love,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Jamie,

    I hope this e-mail finds you doing better. You have it in you to be successful in anything you do, we all know that. Did you open the letter on Amanda birthday that I gave you when you left? I hope it put a smile on your face? You were very much missed on Amanda's birthday, I could not finish all the brownies and cupcakes on my own, I needed your help and miss you lots!!

    Emily showed me how to comment on your blog. In order to do that I had to get an Gmail account and listen to her give me step by step instructions on how to do so. That was difficult for me to take orders from her, but for you it was worth the effort!

    Amore,
    The Faj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie, You tackle things that others would never dream of trying in the first place. The roughest road, the hardest subjects, the highest goals, that's just who you are. Sustaining the momentum is what this roadblock is about. All this hardship is difficult and your reaction to it is normal and it is a true test of your physical stamina and mental endurance. And you know what? You will pass with flying colors. Because that's who you are too. Keep your head up, love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete