WINNERS of our Mundial!

WINNERS of our Mundial!
smiles all around

KATIE in Ecuador!

KATIE in Ecuador!
meeting pastora´s ducks! hahaha

The 5 crazies of arbolito house

The 5 crazies of arbolito house
retreat at the beach!

Mamá y Yo

Mamá y Yo
looking at all of Lupe´s great jewelry :-)

Ñaño

Ñaño
yazul and little bro

Semillas

Semillas
Finishing up a day at Semillas with 10 seconds of silence to calm everyone down

Villanova Retreat Group

Villanova Retreat Group
After climbing Las Peñas (at the top of the light house)--that´s Durán out in the distance

Semillas

Semillas
Sitting listening to the Charla

a chill afternoon at semillas

a chill afternoon at semillas

now not so chill...

now not so chill...

hairstylist Mechet

hairstylist Mechet
probably how i got lice...

park at semillas

park at semillas

Friday, September 11, 2009

Respira

First---I need to thank all of you. Thank you for your emails, your comments, and most of all your prayers. The outpouring of love I received after that last blog entry was unreal. You are all so special to me, and the words you wrote felt like you were right here with me, talking me through these hard times.

I need to let you all know that I am doing MUCH better. After many tears and lots of conversations, my head is finally clearing, and I can see the forest through the trees. I have started really focusing on living moment by moment, and allowing the chaos to pass me while keeping the peace. There are probably about ten times each day where I just need to step back and remind myself to breathe...but this is definitely a good thing, and I recommend everyone take a try at this---it´s amazing how much we hold onto and forget to let go of.

So probably the highlight of this past week was being introduced to my new best friend here in Ecuador. And shocking, guess what her name is....yes that´s right, LUPE!!! it´s like it was fate. We were destined to be friends. Lupe is a long time friend of Rostro, and I had the pleasure of meeting her last week over a delicious lunch she prepared. When I tell you we are the same person, we are the same person, well except that she´s 45 and i´m only 22, but you get the idea. Her house is adorable, so clean, so neat, beautifully decorated, and so full of love. She has three kids and three grandchildren all who are adorable.

The first conversation we had was right when I was going through my "spell" of sadness, and I just started balling when she was talking about how while we´re here in Ecuador, she is here to be whatever we need her to be, be that friend, sister, mentor, or temporary mom. Her house was open to us whenever, and we could spend as much time or as little time there as we wanted to there. She could cook for us, sit with us, go to the market with us, or just laugh with us, whenever we needed. Her door will always be open, and arms always ready to pick us up when we need it. Well...after that little speech, I lost it. Literally, I was just sobbing there on her couch. Feeling so broken, while at the same time so relieved. Not to mention that the soundtrack from Forrest Gump was playing in the background. It was all very cathartic, and I tried to explain as best I could that she was exactly what I needed in Ecuador. The whole thing was very comforting, very loving, very Hallmark, but so soothing.

After that, we´ve been off and running. I hang out there A LOT, and have already become close friends with her family. I think they´ve really taken me under their wing, and kind of adore the fact that i´m the "little lupe". Fate I tell you. She made me the most delicious breakfast the other day with coffee that I desperately needed. I just love laughing with her, and enjoy hearing her stories. I feel very safe at that house, and know it is going to be a house that I continue spending a lot of time at.

Oh and well sometimes my spanish fails me, while talking to Lupe, and I don´t have the words to say what I need to, or to understand what she´s telling me. So funny story. After one morning I spent with Lupe, Theresa goes over there to have lunch. Theresa comes home and tells me all about the "trip" Lupe and I are planning with her family--how we´re going to the "finca" (her farm house in the country), and how excited we are over it, and how we´re just waiting to pick a date. Theresa was like how come you didn´t tell us you were going, and I was like uhhh, I didn´t know we were even planning a trip. I thought we were just talking about her other house in the country. However sometime during that long winded conversation, she must have asked me if I wanted to go, I agreed, and then we started preparing for a time when we would leave. This is a perfect example of how sometimes I MISS sooo much of what in the world we´re even talking about--- in so many of the conversations I have here in Ecuador ha. Luckily I didn´t agree to giving away my first born, because I feel like I could have just as easily done that! haha

Needless to say, Lupe is bringing me a lot of joy here in Ecuador, and she is part of the main reason I am feeling better, feeling lighter. My community has also been stellar. We had a really fun community night last night where we just laughed and laughed. Very much overdue.

So here are a few closing thoughts for you all as I head out to plan for Semillas first "paseo" or field trip today. (we´re going to be watching UP in our retreat house with popcorn and soda---i´m so relieved because only 14 of the best kids from the week are coming, and it´s going to be a really chill afternoon):

1. Something I love here in Ecuador is walking by the local panaderias and smelling the sweet scent of fresh baked bread every morning. There are so many ugly smells that I encounter daily, but because the panaderias are dispersed pretty evenly, it makes for a nice balance of really great smelling thing to offset the awful scents, ie burning trash, poop, etc.

2. I came home the other day and there were about 7 cows in our frontyard, I couldn´t help but start laughing and shake my head....oh Ecuador.

3. Tonight we´re going to the airport to pick up the 4 returning volunteers who are going to be working at the new site in Mt. Sinaii: Amy, Carolyn, Danny, and Tracy. I am sooo excited to see them, and it´s going to be really great to get to talk with them again, along with see them sporatically throughout the year.

4. At Redima I went on my first home visit out in El Recreo yesterday. Michele and I visited with a woman who has HIV and checked in on her health and children. Although a very sad experience that disturbed me a lot, I felt that this was one of those times that I felt pure human connection. Her speech was severely impacted by the disease along with her cognitive functioning, but just sitting there and talking with her for that short time reminded me of what our mission is here. Being. The simple idea of being with someone and letting them know that they are not alone. I was uncomfortable throughout most of the time, but I think that was a good thing. It made it more real, more human.

5. Finally, I wanted to share with you all that my brother made it safely to Spain, and is adjusting very nicely. Maybe even having a little too much fun, but i´m glad he´s also experiencing something exciting and new. It´s funny how being thousands of miles away from each other is actually bringing us closer. I don´t think we´ve ever sent this many emails back and forth to each other, but it´s something I really love and look forward to.

So again, thank you ALL!!! for your continued support! In no particular order Mom and Dad, the Kelly´s/Altieris, Jacki, Leslie, Gisele, Theresa, Jen, Katie, I can´t write all of your names, but please, please KNOW that I am so grateful, and appreciative of all that you have given to me. I feel the love regardless of the fact that i´m all the way over here in Ecuador.

LOVEEE YOU SOOO MUCHHH,
Lupita

2 comments:

  1. hi Jamie
    i am so happy to know that you are doing better this week then last weeks. So i hope things continue to get better and better throughout the year for you. I sent and showed some of my family your blog and had them read it.They loved how you have a blog to share with us all the things you are doing over there in Ecuador. Also i wanted to say that we are studing or will study Ecuador in spainsh class and when we went over it in class i said that i know someone who is living in Equadore for a year and she said wow really.
    love you tons
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jamie!

    Your blog inspired me to start my own about teaching in LA! Hope everything is wonderful over there. I know things can get hard and you begin to question your strength and commitment to your cause but sometimes it really takes reflection on the "why"...and sometime -- believe me I know -- it can be hard to remember why you decided to do this. But there is ALWAYS a reason. Keep it up girl! Miss you & I will always keep reading!

    ReplyDelete