WINNERS of our Mundial!

WINNERS of our Mundial!
smiles all around

KATIE in Ecuador!

KATIE in Ecuador!
meeting pastora´s ducks! hahaha

The 5 crazies of arbolito house

The 5 crazies of arbolito house
retreat at the beach!

Mamá y Yo

Mamá y Yo
looking at all of Lupe´s great jewelry :-)

Ñaño

Ñaño
yazul and little bro

Semillas

Semillas
Finishing up a day at Semillas with 10 seconds of silence to calm everyone down

Villanova Retreat Group

Villanova Retreat Group
After climbing Las Peñas (at the top of the light house)--that´s Durán out in the distance

Semillas

Semillas
Sitting listening to the Charla

a chill afternoon at semillas

a chill afternoon at semillas

now not so chill...

now not so chill...

hairstylist Mechet

hairstylist Mechet
probably how i got lice...

park at semillas

park at semillas

Friday, August 28, 2009

Luis y el Pulpo

So Luis(little rascal from Semillas) and I are reading a story the other day about el pulpo(octopus) who wants to find a friend to play with. None of the other sea creatures will play because they are scared he will eat them. The last page of the story ends with el pulpo asking a tiburon, shark, to play, and what happens...the shark eats the pulpo....Why am I telling you all this, well because the best part of the story happened when I said, el poopoo, yes that means poop----and Luis went into a fit of hysterical belly laughter saying "lupita just said poopoo" he could not contain himself and i have never seen this child laugh so hard.

Watching him I could not help but start laughing hysterically and the two of us were just sitting there laughing and laughing about el poopoo. This went on for about five minutes, and I was laughing so hard that by the end I was crying. May seem really stupid or insignificant, but honestly this was one of the best moments of my week. It was in this moment that I realized, that it doesn´t matter what we do with these kids during our two hours at Semillas, it doesn´t matter if they learn fractions or can count to a hundred in a single afternoon. It doesn´t matter if they understand the geometric shapes we teach them during activity, or if they can multiply 8 times 12.


We are here to be with them. To laugh with them, to play with them, and to let them be kids, if only for two hours a day. I´m not really sure what happens from 5pm on in the course of their nights, but I have heard that in some houses it is not a pretty time. Parents are exhausted, and alcoholism is rampant in this culture. If I can get a kid to laugh with me over the course of my afternoon at Semillas then I feel like it was a productive day.


We really take for granted that kids have a place to play and create and imagine in the US-- because it happens all the time. When homework is done, and there are a few hours left of daylight, kids at home can go play in the neighborhood or in their backyards or go to a park down the street and just have fun. I´m really struggling with this here. These kids don´t have green grass, or swingsets, or markers, or playdough, or bikes. They have dirty rivers, and rusted wires, and broken glass laying around the dusty dirt roads that surround their houses. Not to mention the tons of stray dogs that are everywhere and leave their trails as well. It´s just something that I think about a lot. I know that these kids have joy in their lives and smile like other kids, but I can´t help but feel real sadness for them. They shouldn´t have to worry about finding a safe place to play in everyday. They are only kids. It´s these thoughts that give me the grace to continue playing at Semillas each afternoon.


As for Redima, it´s still taking time. Mondays and Tuesdays are better than Wednesdays and Thursdays, but again, I know things will work out. I am just so thankful that for the most part, the woman that work there are so caring and compassionate and always asking me what I ate that day ha. For some reason they are all very concerned about me and my diet, and just want to make sure that I don´t waste away here. I keep telling them that its really not a problem, and that if I eat any more beans and rice i´m going to turn into a freaking frijole, but they keep asking, so I keep answering :-)

That´s about all I have time for today kids, but I will be sure to keep you posted about my upcoming week.

Still thinking about you and praying for you all. Oh and Karla´s birthday was a lot of fun, not to mention the cake was delicious!!! I miss sweets so much it´s not even funny. I think that´s why i´m starting to get addicted to the crystal light packets. It´s the one thing I have to look forward to at night! Sad I know....oh well, when in Ecuador....

Love you all!

Lupita

2 comments:

  1. Jamie

    Not only did you make Luis laugh, you made me laugh today as well. Thanks! I love reading your blog and I certainly feel your sadness when you talk about your surroundings. We are so blessed here and so many of us take things for granted. I see Ecuador through your eyes and I ache for the children.

    They are however lucky to have you for a while.
    Keep up the great work. I LOVE YOU!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. jamie
    you are truly an amazing person like incredible. You can make someone laugh even when they are in terrible conditions and sad. Well i knew that you would be great keep up the good work and know we are all thinking about you and love you here.
    love always,
    your sister emily

    ReplyDelete